NRF has been conducting its annual Tax Returns Survey since 2007 to gauge consumer spending and saving behavior related to U.S. income tax returns. The 2022 annual tax return survey conducted by NRF and Prosper Insights & Analytics found that 59% of consumers expect a refund this year.
About the survey: The 2022 survey of 7,929 U.S. adults 18 and older was conducted February 1-8 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.1 percentage points.
- 2019: Slower tax refunds and weather affect April retail sales but fundamentals 'remain positive'
- 2018: Consumers using tax refunds to pay down debt
- 2017: Consumers plan to save their tax refunds for later
- 2016: Consumers build confidence by saving tax refunds
- 2015: Americans planning to save, not splurge, with tax refunds
Results of the Tax Returns Survey are released each year in February.