NRF and Appriss Retail surveyed retailers to better understand the current returns landscape. This report includes a look at the overall impact of consumer returns, how the holiday season and the COVID-19 pandemic impact returns, and benchmarking data on return fraud. Some key findings are below:
- Total returns account for over $400 billion in lost sales for U.S. retailers
- Online returns more than doubled and are a major driver of the overall growth of returns
- On average, retailers expect 13.3% of merchandise sold during the 2020 holiday season to be returned
- The estimated cost of these holiday returns is $101 billion
- Receipted returns are a hidden risk from behaviors like shoplifting, collusion, wardrobing and more
NRF members can download the full report of findings. Non-members can view a preview of findings here.