The health and safety of customers and workers is retailers’ top priority. In order to assist member retailers, NRF is monitoring the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, situation closely, keeping in touch with government agencies, health experts and retailers as the situation evolves.
In addition to following the health aspects of coronavirus, NRF is addressing the supply chain implications. February is traditionally a slow month for imports, because of the annual Lunar New Year shutdown of factories across China and because of the lull between the holiday season and summer season. But the Chinese government has extended Lunar New Year shutdowns because of the virus, and retail supply chains could be affected if the shutdown continues.
Friday, February 28: NRF hosted a retail members-only call on February 28 where representatives from the CDC addressed what retailers need to know about the coronavirus. Listen here.
Tuesday, February 25: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) held a business sector conference call on February 21 providing a status update on COVID-19. The recording is available here.
The public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, both globally and to the United States. However, CDC notes that for the general American public, who are unlikely to be exposed, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low in the United States.
What retailers need to know about COVID-19
On February 28, NRF hosted a members-only conference call with Nancy Messonnier, MD, and Lisa M. Koonin of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Listen to the call above to learn more about what retailers need to know about the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
NRF CEO: How retail is faring amid coronavirus (CNBC) - February 27, 2020
NRF Monthly Economic Review: March 2020 - February 28, 2020
Supply Chain Coronavirus Questions Loom (Women’s Wear Daily) - February 6, 2020
U.S. retailers are taking steps to prepare for impact from the coronavirus (NRF Blog) - January 31, 2020
NRF Members-Only Resources
The following are members-only items. Please log in to view.
NRF Member Survey
- View results from an NRF member survey on the current impact of COVID-19 on retail companies – February 24
NRF Member Memos
- Memo: COVID-19 Update – New CDC Travel Notices; NRF Benchmarking Survey – February 25
- Memo: HHS Press Briefing Livestream and CDC Coronavirus Business Guidance – February 7
- Memo: NRF CDC Coronavirus Call Update – February 3
- Memo: Coronavirus Update – WHO Declaration, Updated State Department Travel Advisory, Supply Chain Impact Questions – January 31
- Memo: NRF CDC Coronavirus Update Conference Call – January 31
- Memo: Coronavirus Supply Chain Impact Survey – January 29
NRF Port Tracker
U.S. Government Resources
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Website
- COVID-19 Latest News
CDC Business Sector Call for COVID-19 – February 21
- China Travel Notice
- Hong Kong Travel Notice
- Japan Travel Notice
- Iran Travel Notice
- South Korea Travel Notice
- Italy Travel Notice
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- Situation Summary
- Traveler Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
Department of Health and Human Services
- President's Task Force on Coronavirus Press Briefing – February 7
- Secretary Azar Declaration of Public Health Emergency
Department of Homeland Security
- Inbound Flight Restrictions – February 2
U.S. Coast Guard
- Marine Safety Information Safety Bulletin – February 2
- OSAC Benchmarking Results: Coronavirus – February 4
- China Travel Advisory – January 29
- Hong Kong Travel Advisory – February 20
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
World Health Organization
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports
- Travel Advice
- Questions and Answers
Johns Hopkins CSSE